Rosh Hashana Meals at the Jerusalem Center! ארוחות ראש השנה במרכז בירושלים
Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 7:30 PM – Monday, September 14, 2015 at 7:30 PM
the simonim: there are a list of symbols/(Hebrew simonim)/which we make and serve on the first and sometimes the second night meal of Rosh Hashanah!!! Significant Omens is the title of the list of symbols/simonim in the Artscroll publication:The Complete Artscroll Machzor Rosh Hashanah (Rabbi N. Scherman, Mesorah Publication, Brooklyn, 1992, pp. 96-98) Purchase/order at Eichler’s You can prepare two cups *(one cup for the first night of Rosh Hashanah and the second cup for night two) of each of the following and make a handsome large platter with them all. One cup of each item in a pretty small glass bowl. Wow, this reminds us of Pesach/Passover and the seder plate. Well, this seder plate is NOT mandatory. The list of the two cups and what they contain: carrots in one bowl, leek or cabbage in the next, beets in the third, dates in the fourth, squash/zucchini is in the fifth, pomegranate (Chinese apple) in the sixth, fish is the seventh and (take a breath!!!) head of a sheep or head of a fish (I will instruction below how to manage with this smelly and shocking item, again NOT mandatory nor Jewish law!!! but old old tradition) For further information see post 189.
Day 13: It’s kitchen tour time! Welcome to my kitchen/study/dining room/salon/laundry room
10 sheets phyllo dough
1/4 cup butter,melted or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Brush 5 sheets phyllo dough with butter/oil and stack sheet on top of each other. Repeat with remaining sheets.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add zucchini, broccoli, and string beans, cover, and steam until tender, 2 to 6 minutes.
- Toss vegetables, feta cheese/tofu, and thyme in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spread vegetable mixture over evenly over the stacks of phyllo dough. Roll phyllo dough, beginning widthwise, over the vegetables. Transfer both rolls to the baking sheet and brush with egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes. Let vegetable rolls to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.