15 OMG, Barack Obama is coming over because he knows you make awesome vegan food! What are you going to make? Firstly, he doesn’t visit Israel.
Stuffed pepper a la Obama http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/stuffed-capsicums-0
- 10 red capsicums (peppers)
- 300 g(1½ cups) long-grain white rice
- 1onion, finely chopped
- ½ cupflat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 500 g minced (ground) beef substitute-baked tofu or tempeh
- 1 tbsp salt or omit
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp baharat Bahārāt is the Arabic word for ‘spices’ Cumin Allspice Cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- The above are some of the ingredients in Bahaat. I buy mine at the shuk.
- 800 gcan chopped tomatoes
- 1½ tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tspsalt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 750 m l(3 cups) boiling water
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Soak the rice in boiling water in a large bowl for 10 minutes, then strain.
Meanwhile, cut the tops off the capsicums and remove the membranes and seeds.
Place all the stuffing ingredients in a large bowl and combine well. Add the rice and combine with your hands.
Fill the capsicums with the stuffing, making sure to leave space for the rice to expand (don’t stuff in as much as can fit). Place the stuffed capsicums in a large saucepan so they fit snugly one next to the other.
Combine all the sauce ingredients in a large bowl, then carefully pour over the capsicums. Cover pan and cook over medium heat, basting every 25 minutes, for one hour or until capsicums are tender and rice is cooked through. To check, take a small taste of the rice from the inside one of the capsicums.